BREAKING NEWS

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Mindfulness



Mindfulness.

Merriam Webster’s dictionary defines mindfulness as:

1:  the quality or state of being mindful
2:  the practice of maintaining a nonjudgmental state of heightened or complete awareness of one's thoughts, emotions, or experiences on a moment-to-moment basis; also:  such a state of awareness

When I think of mindfulness now, I think of yoga, meditation, hot tea and incense.  And calm.

Calm is a difficult concept for me.  With all of the roles I play in my life and the hecticness of my calendar, I don’t make enough time for myself.  

As an aside:  Notice I said make instead of find time.  There’s enough time.  As much as I joke that I could use more hours in the day (couldn’t we all?) if it’s important to you, you’ll find the time.  We tell our kids that if the end result were important to them, they’d get their chores done in a more timely fashion.  If that TV show is important, we’ll make time to watch it preferably uninterrupted.  If you make yourself a priority, you can find the time.

Back to calm.  <Deep breath with the whole slow arm flapping movement>

Believe it or not, there was a time that I didn’t even know the word mindfulness, let alone the definition.  There was a time when I ran from place to place like a chicken with my head cut off, smoking frantically on the fringes of the activity, always music or TV on for “background noise”.  Now I do all the same things without the smoking AND I know the word and definition of mindfulness.  Impressive, right?

Actually, I’ve always tried to practice the non-judgmental part of the mindfulness concept.  I’m very good at seeing other points of view and can play a mean devil’s advocate.  I am usually defending someone telling those around me, “Be kind!  You don’t know what they’re going through!”  You don’t know if that pushy jackass on the highway is in the middle of a medical emergency for his child or if that rude woman in line at the grocery store just lost her mother and is having a really hard day or if that politician got bad information from someone he trusted and was doing what he thought was right, however misguided.”  I’m really good at making excuses for and being kind to other people.  There’s very little I can’t forgive.  Not so much for myself.

I’ve got a lot going on in my life and I’ve been a bit stressed recently.  But, like the feeling while most people are watching that jackass on the highway, I have been having trouble being kind to myself.  I have very high expectations for myself.  I expect to be calm, patient, pleasant, efficient, logical, active, helpful, committed, loyal, attentive, passionate, accommodating, organized and giving to name just a few.

I’m taking steps toward better mental health for myself.  Over the last few months I’ve resumed my acupuncture appointments for internal physical balance, started taking Chinese herbs for increased relaxation and mood stability and am working on a daily meditation streak on my calm.com app.  I need to make frequent blogging part of my mental health as well.

Be kind to one another.  But even more importantly, be kind to yourself.  You’re the only you you get.  
 What act of kindness have you done for yourself recently?

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes