BREAKING NEWS

Friday, October 2, 2015

Nuances of Shamanism - what shamanic healing means to me


Vera at a Raven Reiki Drum Circle
I felt the horse I loved so much was “off”.  I contacted the vet who examined him, watched him move and told me I was crazy but agreed to take an x-ray anyway – mostly to shut me up.   I received a distraught message from him several days later saying my beloved mount had “rotation” of 17 degrees in the navicular bone in both front feet.  That’s a really awful thing for a horse, a painful, crippling condition.  He should have been lying down or limping painfully.  What I didn’t tell him was that for months before as soon as I felt he was starting to go "off", I would take his hoof in my hands and hold it and hope beyond hope that the pain I felt he was experiencing would be healed or in the very least he would not hurt anymore.

That’s the first time I remember being successful changing things with intent.  I guess I may have done it before, but this is the first time I remember.  Healing was something I wanted to learn more about and be good at, if I possibly could.  Working as a lawyer put that on a back burner but, upon retirement, I went for it.  Shamanism resonated with me and I started to study.

Most shamanic practitioners don't go around healing horses in a barn. Shamanism is an ancient mode of spiritual healing that is present in cultures all around the world. Traditionally Shamanic practice is passed along in families, but for others, like me, it is formalized in training sessions. Shamans don't heal someone without permission; they respect privacy and make no promises about outcomes. They can't, because, in their view, it's the spirits that do the healing. In my own practice I tell clients this is not my work, but rather Spirit working through me. My goal is always to be a clear and open channel for God’s healing, wisdom, and love to flow through me for the healing of the client.

Drumming is an important part of this healing.  The drumming induces a trancelike state during which time shamans can journey to other worlds. The closest you may have come to this is through your dreams, which shamans believe are full of information from the spirits. If all sounds a little far-fetched, a little “cray cray”, that’s was I thought too. Trained as a lawyer, I asked myself if I was making this up, but the experiences were powerful, and when I started doing shamanic healing and seeing little miracles happen, there was no way it wasn't happening.

My concurrent journey in paranormal research made it easy for me to recognize there are other realities that can be called upon to help heal people. That power comes from a "whole" soul and the protection of compassionate spirits and power animals, which create a spiritual force field around us.

Raven Reiki has drum circles about once a month during which times healings are visualized for all those who desire them.  Mostly though we get together to experience the positive effects of group drumming and chanting.  All are welcome.  www.mindkey.me/drumcircles

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes