BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Make sure the kids wear coats - A Mother's Day Blog



Kids walking to the bus in the snow
“Make sure the kids wear coats,” my mom said.

I sat there speechless, the cordless phone in my hand, watching the 6 AM news.  The weather guesser was predicting 15 degrees with a -3 wind chill.  Was it possible that my mom actually thought that, after my 17 years as a mother, I wouldn’t know to put a coat on my kids when it was cold?
 
“OK mom,” I said after a few beats.  “We will.”

******
At the time (nine years ago) I was so angry with her.  How in the ever loving hell could she think that we wouldn’t put a damned coat on our kids when it was cold?  Did she think that we were so irresponsible and uncaring that we’d let our boys freeze to death walking to the bus?  Jon and I both stomped around angry at my mom all day long, just so hopelessly offended by her words.

Now, almost four years after her death, I can look back at that and know she just wanted to be an active part of our lives.  Giving motherly advice was what she had to offer that particular morning.  Granted, it was completely asinine advice that anyone could guess, but…

I miss my mom.  My husband misses my mom.  Our kids miss my mom.  

My mom was the glue that held our family together and I feel like, without her, we’re all adrift in our own oceans, wrapped up in our individual lives.  We only come together now for Christmas.  And I don’t necessarily mean extended family, either.  I don’t see my brother, his wife or kids aside from posts on Facebook.  My Grandma and I talk occasionally (more frequently than when my mom was around) and my Aunt and I email.  We’re not a very close family and we’re even further apart now that there’s no one making plans for us.

******
I remember my mom’s last Mother’s Day.  

She was living in Castle Rock so we all went down and met at a park since no one’s house would hold us all.  Mom was so sick (metastatic breast cancer) at that point that she wasn’t able to walk from the van to the covered picnic area without pain.  Her sister Sherry, who had come to town from Oregon to see her, pushed her in a wheelchair.  

We all brought photo albums and food to share.  Grandma and Grandpa were there, Sherry, mom, Jon and I and our three kids, my brother and his wife and their then four kids.  As much as I wanted to sit down and have quiet time looking through albums with my mom, I spent most of my time running after small children, pushing swings, eating on the fly, telling people to “COME BACK HERE!” and apologizing to non-family members.

Not my kids on a playground
We talked about the hospice mom and Sherry had visited that day.  How nice it was and how kind the staff seemed.  She knew it was time to check herself in and she wanted Sherry’s opinion of the hospice she’d chosen.  

I’d been staying with her overnights to help her with her pain meds and to make sure that she wasn’t alone and I hadn’t seen her in a couple of days since Sherry had come to relieve me.  I had been able to go back to the comfort of my home, my family.  In the couple days since I’d seen her, she seemed to have shrunken.  Again.  I could see the pain in her face, even though she did a really good job of trying to cover it for the sake of the kids.  

Her smile was bright.  She loved every minute of being with her family that day.  Ten days later she was gone.

******
I miss my mom.  There has been so much that she’s missed.  So many changes in all of our lives.  Accomplishments that we wear with pride and family frustrations and worries that we can no longer share with her.  

In the last four years Jon and I have quit smoking and taken up cycling (to the detriment of Jon’s broken thumb most recently) and we’ll be celebrating our twentieth anniversary this October.  Matt’s (25) living successfully on his own with good roommates and has had his job for a few years now.  Toby’s (18) going to graduate next month and go to community college and was really successful in marching band all four years of high school.  Jake’s (13) getting into music, becoming a world traveler and making As and Bs. My brother and his wife had another baby and all five of their kids are growing like weeds.  My Brother’s taken up Brazilian Jujitsu.  I worry about Grandma’s health as she gets older and Aunt Sherry got a new job that she loves.  

And mom’s not physically here to see any of it.  She’s not here to give congratulatory hugs, come to concerts, football games, races or competitions or make the chili that we ate every year on Christmas Eve.

I see a lot of my mom in me though, even though some days I don’t want to admit it.  The teenager in me tells me its bad to be like your mom, but I still am.  I work hard and put others before myself even though I shouldn’t as often as I do.  I keep a mostly clean house.  I try to be strict with money, but I’m not very good about saying no.  I’ve even found myself giving asinine advice to the boys, reminding them that it’s my prerogative as a mother.  Click here to read about more ways I'm like my mom.

I’ll always want to be an active part in their lives like my mom was in ours, but I hope to never remind them to put coats on their children.  

The great professional picture my mom had taken for us before her health started its serious decline so that we'd have something to display at her memorial  You can see her church in the reflection.
To read more of Charla's musing, please visit her blog Charla's Neverending Journey

Want more for Mother's Day?
Saving our children from Mothers’ Day (Danielle Rose)
The Real Emancipated Woman (by Tamara Rokicki)
Make sure the kids wear coats: A Mother’s Day Blog (by Charla Dury)
The Goddess Connection: Mothers and Maeve (by Tara Ann Lesko) POSTS 5/7/15
In a Nutshell: On Mothers (by Danielle Rose) POSTS 5/8/15

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes