BREAKING NEWS

Monday, January 11, 2016

How Affirmations Can Keep Us On Track To Our New Year Resolutions


We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them
~Albert Einstein

Hi everyone, my name is Barbara Steingas.
Just after graduating college, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease, an autoimmune disease deemed incurable by traditional western medicine. The first several years I followed the gastroenterologist’s advice and took the prescribed medicines that were supposed to control my symptoms. However, I continued to spiral downward until I was a walking skeleton from not being able to really eat, and had excruciating vaginal-rectal abscesses. As a last resort, the gastroenterologist suggested a new treatment option: take an immunosuppressive medication, but due to my frail state, the doctor said there was a high risk that if I contracted a cold it could potentially turn into a deadly case of pneumonia.

I was already basically on a death path, so I didn’t feel this was the right route for me to take. It was then I made the decision that would change my life around: I no longer believed that my condition was incurable and I affirmed that there had to be a way back to health. It occurred to me to think of it like a puzzle and all I had to do was find the missing pieces to restore my health. Eventually I was able to accomplish this, yet it took a lot of time, money and effort.

My goal is to help streamline the process for others so they may find the pieces to their healing puzzle faster.  I hope to continue posting here, and on my personal website with the keys to these puzzle pieces.

 Before getting to the body strategies, I’m starting with the mind/emotion strategy of affirmation stating.  Hopefully, this will save you the self-sabotaging encountered by not being in the same mindset. 

Do you ever wonder why so many goal resolutions fail after a couple of weeks to months? To me it’s because the way most of us were taught to state resolutions involve stopping or giving up something– like saying “I’m no longer going to be fat anymore so I’m giving up eating chocolate.” It focuses on the problem and what you have to give up and that isn’t very motivating or exciting. By speaking resolutions in this way, we are basically wishing, hoping or trying. In the movie Star Wars, Yoda tells Luke Skywalker that in order to lift the space ship out of the water, which seems impossible to Luke, he must not try, just do (it). In other words, he has to believe he can do it.
Affirmations help us believe and keep us focused on the result thereby creating the way for us to become what we want to have occur. The most powerful ones start with “I am.” Like “I am able to lose weight easily.” When I began to believe and say, “I am healthy” rather than what I was saying, “I don’t want to be sick anymore,” that’s when I truly began to transform and started to gel the pieces of my healing puzzle together. Focusing on getting healthy and feeling good again was very motivating and kept me on tract, especially through the challenging times of my journey when it didn’t seem like I was making any progress and began to have doubts. By repeating the “I am healthy” statement over and over again held me to my resolution that I could find my way back to health.

It was also my late husband’s unconditional love that gelled the pieces of my puzzle together and I attracted him into my life by stating a New Year’s affirmation that 1994 was the year I was going to meet my soulmate. Four months later in April is when we met! It can take time for your result to be achieved because it can be difficult to stop the running of your old programs, but if you stay persistently consistent in affirming your new goals, you will eventually start to see changes.

Write down and state one or a few “I am” affirmations for goals you wish to have occur this year. Our brain is the computer that runs the programs that control the body, so ask yourself, “What programs am I running?” Are they positive and empowering for what you want to achieve (i.e. I deserve and can have better health), or victimizing and disempowering thereby further perpetuating what you don’t want (i.e. saying things like I’m tired/sick of being chronically ill)? Don’t beat yourself up for the latter ones. This first way to spark change is to identify the cause of things. Then we can have the power to do the strategies that can change it. By using these “I am” affirmation statements, you are setting a foundation towards achieving your goals.

Feel free to leave comments or contact me with any questions. In the meantime, I wish everyone happiness & health!
~Barbara Steingas


Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes