BREAKING NEWS

Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Old Soul



When our third son was born and we looked into his eyes, we could feel it.  Jakob had an old soul.

Our first two boys were normal (and awesome, of course) babies.  New, cuddly, and learning things for the first time.  With Jakob it was different.  Jake knew and still knows things before his time. 

Jake, studying for the 2008 election
He was walking at eight months, because I think he expected it of himself.  Being surrounded by so many walking people, he figured he should be doing that, so he did.  He decided he should walk down stairs at eight and a half months.  He biffed it big time, but he reached up, grabbed the railing and stepped off into nothingness like he knew exactly what he was doing.  At four, he told me how my foot bath worked and that the moving water was a current.  He also, while helping his big brother change his brakes, explained how the brake calipers pushed against that thing which pushed against the wheel to create friction to slow down the truck.  At six, he explained how my hairdryer worked after looking at it for ten seconds.
Jake the goalie

I know this sounds like just a seriously smart dude who showed it at an early age.  But again, Jake is different.  I don’t know how, exactly, but he is.  When you look in his eyes, even now at 13 (if you can get past the teenaged boredom,) you can see years of life experience that a thirteen year old hasn’t yet lived.

Generally, while I do consider myself a spiritual person, I was never much for the theory of reincarnation until Jake was born.  There was just no way for Jake to know some of the things and understand such lofty theories as he does without some sort of prior knowledge (in my opinion.)  Plus, he just radiates awareness and intelligence.
Jake getting ready to leave for Peru.  He's so put upon!

With all of that seemingly prior knowledge, I feel like his straight Bs are beneath him as he didn’t have to work for them.  I want him to work hard and experience life!  We paid for him to visit Peru this last Spring Break with a group from his school district.  

Because he’s such a cool kid and great traveler, he’s been invited to attend an international youth conference in Spain and Amsterdam next summer with the same district group.  I guess opportunity is what you get by having an old soul! 

Do you know anyone whose soul seems particularly “new” or “old”?

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes