BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Impossibility of Letting Go

The Mind Key Theme this month is letting go, and as I sit here contemplating what to say on the subject, I realize that I’m totally clueless. I tend to focus, you see. OK, not focus. Obsess. If something has my attention, I will dissect the subject thoroughly. I will twist it this way and that, hold it under a microscope, analyze it, catalog it, rip it apart, put it back together again. On the other hand, if it doesn’t have my attention, it zips right over my head before I realize it’s there. So, if I can harness my laser-like focus only on things beneficial to me, then the poisonous would just slip away, right?

 The thing is, I don’t get to choose what attracts my attention. I’ve tried to focus on things that are supposed to be “good” for me, but it’s not something I can fake. It either has my attention or it doesn’t. So, no- I really don’t know anything about letting go.
 
I remember something my grandfather told me, though. If a thunderstorm came tearing through while we were driving, some people would pull over and wait out the storm. My grandfather would always keep driving, even if it meant driving 5 mph. You’d get out of the storm more quickly, he said, than if you sat and waited it out. That’s all I’ve got for you.  I don’t let go. I trudge on through the storm, wringing whatever positive I can out of it, until I’m out on the other side. 
 
*****************************
 
 
 
Medussa's Myths - Telling the stories of life



Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes