BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wild Flowers are God's Make-up - a Photoblog


My family and I took a road trip a few years ago to the Grand Canyon.  It was Spring Break for the kids and it had been less than a year since my mother had passed away.  I was depressed.  Really depressed.  I did my best to put on a good face, but I spent a lot of time staring blankly out of the truck window, watching the still barren landscape of southwest Colorado pass us by at 65 mph.


“Wild flowers are God’s make up,” I told my husband.  I think I scared the man, because he jumped.  I hadn’t said anything in a while.

“What?” he asked.

“Wild flowers are God’s make up,’ I said again.  “They’re the blush that God puts on to show that the world’s coming back to life after winter hibernation.”


I smiled a sad smile, but looked at him with hope in my eyes because of the flowers.  The small touches of color that bloom, un-manicured, uncultivated, un-watered and supposedly unloved, but blooming nonetheless despite their circumstances.

Those flowers helped me emerge from a place without color that day.  If anyone asks me what my favorite flower is, my answer will always be wild flowers.  They're inspirational to me.

Since then, I’ve come up with other “definitions”.  Phrases that bring to mind the same excitement, surprise and smile.

Wild flowers are red soles on the black stilettos you wear with your little black dress.

Wild flowers are that banana yellow sports car hidden in the sea of monochromatic crossovers.

Wild flowers are the flash of a diamond earring.

Wild flowers are that glass of ice water while you’re soaking in a hot tub.

What are wild flowers to you?





Share this:

1 comment :

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes