BREAKING NEWS

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

My Views on the Camp NaNoWriMo Challenge on Mind Key



Me.

NaNoWriMo has been a thorn in my side since I started blogging years ago.  My writer friends would say Join NaNoWriMo, Charla! Join NaNoWriMo, Charla! Just the mouthful should have told me how difficult this challenge would be.

I don’t write novels, which is the main focus of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer’s Month) but I do write.  I write personal stories on my blog.  Every once in a while I throw in a bite of fiction or a puff of poetry, but personal stories and experiences are my forte.  So I figured I didn’t qualify for NaNoWriMo.  I mean, why would I?  I can barely find time to read novels, certainly not to write them!  
 
But then I joined the Mind Key Community.  Being surrounded with so many talented professionals, I have been encouraged to spread my writing wings and push myself.  That does NOT mean I’m trying to write a novel.  Uhn uh, no way!  But I have been told that you can be a writer without focusing on fiction and novels, so that’s what I’m doing.   


Camp NaNoWriMo brings together a small group of writers, spanning multiple writing genres, who are available to encourage each other on our individual writing journeys.  Some of us know each other and others are completely new.  Some have lofty word count writing goals and others (like me) are shooting for word count a bit lower.  There is one thing ties us together though, and that’s the Mind Key Community.


You may have seen the Camp NaNoWriMo Mind Key Writing Challenge (wow, that’s mouthful!) posted daily on the Mind Key site and Facebook page.  What we’re doing (mostly to encourage each other to write) is choosing an excerpt of our writing and posting it for your viewing pleasure.  We’re also hoping to get your encouragement.  It’s not always the easiest thing to write, you know.  Putting pieces of yourself, your heart and soul, out to the public for applause or criticism, praise or ridicule can be stressful.  


And that is why I’d like you to come vote!  Take a minute out of your day to visit either the Mind Key page or Mind Key on Facebook to read our excerpts.  Read the writing you see there, send out some encouragement and vote for your favorite.
Who knows?  You might get invested in a fabulous story line or even find a blogger you adore!  

Take the time to be part of our community and make it your community.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a few example excerpts from our talented writing pool:


I let the red back in, because it also felt good to be mad. Being mad at Jesse made sense. Forgiving him for using me was just too much to swallow. He touched my face again, this time with a finger, and sucked that bit of red away.
Danielle Rose

Rarely was there an absence of color and energy, at least in one room. I just wish I wasn't so concerned with beating my dead horse of a husband with pleas for another chance. I wish I spent more time reminiscing with Dad about our Laurel and Hardy VHS nights and staring at the microwave waiting for the popcorn bag to approach combustion.
Tara Lesko

Hank is a long haired Chihuahua.  As we walked along the path (it was crowded!) we heard several “Oh he’s so cute!” and even one, “He’s a purse dog!”  Had Hank known what a purse dog was, I’m sure he would have been horribly offended.
Charla Dury  <-- ME!!!

It was his the smooth, velvety voice that had seeped through her mind for days, calling her and promising to help discover her true power. She wanted to know everything about him, right then and there, but his slow movements and relaxed doe eyes hinted that he was still examining her, trying to figure out where to start. She had a million questions but soon, the effect of the wine mixed with the exhaustion of traveling for days, cradled her into a sleep.
Tamara Rokicki


Have you been following your favorite Mind Key writer? Now it's easier than every to read, share and vote! Please...
Posted by Mind Key on Friday, April 17, 2015

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Mind Key, the blog. Designed by OddThemes